Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pure Joy & Pink Skies


I took my 4 kids to get what they needed for the upcoming ski season. My 4-yr-old daughter needed skies. I started holding up various pairs to her to see if they were the correct height. She apparently wasn’t very impressed with my choices because she looked at me and said, “No…I want cute ones!” Naturally, what 4-yr-old girl doesn’t, right?

I, of course, was more concerned about price and less concerned about the cuteness factor. We continued looking and my 10-yr-old son walks up carrying an adorable pair of pink skies that were undoubtedly the right size. My daughter couldn’t have cared less whether they were the right size or not…THEY WERE PINK!!!

She carried those skies around with her for nearly 2 hours as we looked around and selected the items we needed and she did not complain a single time. She was so delighted with her skies that nothing else seemed to matter. She probably would have wanted to sleep with them if she had thought to ask.

That event taught me something. Life often doesn’t always work out the way we plan on, and we’re often disappointed. But I think those difficulties and disappointments help us to really appreciate and enjoy those glorious moments when something works out just they way we hoped. Those moments are infrequent, but that helps us savor them even more.

Joy…sometimes it just takes a pair of pink skies!

No comments:

Post a Comment