Friday, September 10, 2010

Married, Unconscious, and Broken

So I have been gearing up all summer to shoot my first wedding. It wasn't just ANY wedding mind you...it was my niece Haley's wedding. I hold myself to a pretty high standard anyway, but shooting a family member's wedding means more pressure. You don't get a "do over" with a wedding so I had to be ready to ROCK IT.  So the summer has been spent getting ready for her "big day".

So her wedding day rolls around and I'm giving myself a pep talk the day before. I felt like I was back in high school psyching myself up for a track meet or something. The biggest difference was that my sprint lasted for 10 hours instead of 28 seconds. Now, lucky for me, I saw the equine sign of good fortune so I knew it had to be an awesome day (you'll have to email me to get an explanation).

Haley was married in the Logan, LDS Temple and I was able to attend the ceremony. I was worried that I would have a hard time staying focused on the ceremony and be thinking of everything that I needed to do outside with the pictures! But when she walked in, the after-wedding matters would have to wait. She was beautiful and what was about to take place took center stage.

I'm very close to my niece, so it was like my own daughter was getting married. So, I'll be honest...I didn't plan on crying at her wedding. I was in business mode! When she walked into the room, I TOTALLY started crying. Couldn't have helped myself if I wanted, to...but did I bring a tissue? NO!

Anyway, it was a beautiful ceremony and then the "fun" began. I got the COOLEST picture of them as we were waiting for them to come outside of the temple. Now the fun started...or a series of unfortunate events (depending on how you look at it).

We head over to the west side of the temple to get our group shots. I want to hurry ahead of the bride and groom to get pics of them leading the group of people. I jog about 10 steps and then hear the horrifying sound of my $1500 wide-angle lens bouncing across the side walk!!! I couldn't stop to mourn right then so I scoop the thing up and proceed round to the area for our group shots. (Yes, I ended up with a broken lens)


I set up for the group shot. I take 1 picture, 2 pictures, and on the 3rd group shot my mother goes limp! She completely faints in the group which worked out really well because she had bodies to break her fall (it's actually an interesting progression in these 3 pictures). Her color was NOT good at all - she actually looked dead! I asked my sister to check her pulse, and she was alive but COMPLETELY unconscious! They moved her over to the grass and I booked it around to the temple entrance to see if they had any medical staff or oxygen. (I wonder if all weddings will be this exciting). Okay, I'll be totally honest...I did actually wonder "should I snap a picture of Nana on the ground unconscious?" I need help, I know!!

That little glitch set us back a little time wise, but we got all of the family pictures we needed and had some time with the newly married couple. They were married on Haley's parents 27th wedding anniversary, which I thought was brilliant. Now the 2 husbands can help remind each other of when their anniversary is!

We enjoyed excellent weather, beautiful people, and no further catastrophies. By the end, my feet were sore, my brain was fried, but I wouldn't have done it any differently if I could do it over again (except for saving the lens)




No comments:

Post a Comment